Stage 8: Filling Those Stinkin’ Holes

Stage 8: Filling those Stinkin’ Holes

After much research, discussion, helpful advice from Skoolie.net and Skoolie Converters on Facebook, and time, we finally decided what to fill the holes with! Bondo would not work since it was not water repellant or flexible. Welding would not work because we did not have a welder but a friend 5 hours away does. We also discovered it may cause more rust around the area we are welding, and it is a lot of holes to fill anyway! Honestly, I feel this decision was a preference thing. If it was easily accessible and we knew how to do it, I probably would have welded it. However, this next option was the best that I could find for our project and I felt comfortable using it. Again, I think it is really personal preference as everyone had their own opinion on which was best.

Polyurethane  is the Winner! Water resistance, flexibility, expansion capabilities, and an amazing sealant used on metal, concrete, wood, etc.

Loctite PL Premium Polyurethane Construction Adhesive 10-Ounce Cartridge (1390595)

Polyurethane The top two bottles were purchased at Home Depot, the bigger one was around $9 I believe. The bottom tube was purchased at Habitat for Humanity for $4, only missing the tube at the end.

Polyurethane
The top two bottles were purchased at Home Depot, the bigger one was around $9 I believe. The bottom tube was purchased at Habitat for Humanity for $4, only missing the tube at the end.

 Great find at Habitat for Humanity, by the way! We got like $5-$7 off of the only tube of Polyurethane, the only thing wrong with it was that the tube piece was missing. We used this tube first and just cut it open with a knife and applied it with a skinny spackling spatula. Easy Peasy!

After piling the goop on the bigger bolt holes, gravity was pulling it through, so I had to go back over a few spots after letting it set for a few minutes.

After piling the goop on the bigger bolt holes, gravity was pulling it through.

No more sunken holes after adding more polyurethane.

No more sunken holes after adding more polyurethane. We had to let it sit a few minutes and then come back to it. Dancing amongst the sticky traps to find missed holes or sunken seals was like doing a Texas Two Step 🙂

A little over half way done. The wheel wells on the right had more holes than the ones on the left.

A little over half way done. The wheel wells on the right had more holes than the ones on the left.

That one Large tube of Polyurethane lasted until after I was about 3/4 of the way done. Not bad at all!

Sealing holes on the steps

Sealing holes on the steps

After we let it set for a couple of hours, I was interested to see what the holes were starting to look like under the bus….at least for the holes I could see from there.

From under the bus, a shot of a couple of the bigger bolt holes being filled with polyurethane, and pulled through with gravity:)

From under the bus, a shot of a couple of the bigger bolt holes being filled with polyurethane, and pulled through with gravity:)

Mwahahahahaha (evil laugh here). The plan is working!

From Under the Bus. Oh yeah, get in there and seal that hole, you big goopy polyurethane you.

From Under the Bus.
Oh yeah, get in there and seal that hole, you big goopy polyurethane you.

Well Glippity, Gloppity, Gloop! I am impressed! I just hope it looks like this tomorrow!

Onto to Stage 9: Rust Prevention

or

The Editing Our Life Series

Advertisements

One thought on “Stage 8: Filling Those Stinkin’ Holes

  1. Pingback: Stage 7: The Rust Double Tap | The Crabs' Homestead

Leave us a message!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s