Stage 13: Sealing Exterior Sides and Roof

Stage 13: Sealing Exterior Sides and Roof

DAY 1

I started the roof seams with the original Polyurethane we used to caulk the floors. I love that stuff. I used my finger to fill the gaps after I placed the bead to give it a big thick layer. I noticed a few screws that may have needed some caulk, so I just did those too. I also brought corroseal with me, just in case there were any rust spots that needed tending to.

I made a freaking mess up there. LOL. And I did NOT wear any gloves. SO dumb. This is totally an art, and I am still learning, HA!

I made a freaking mess up there. LOL. And I did NOT wear any gloves. SO dumb. This is totally an art, and I am still learning, HA! Notice the screw on the top right, treated with corroseal.

One Re-Sealed Emergency Hatch and some seams.

One Re-Sealed Emergency Hatch and some seams.

This was the Only rust spot I found up there and it was on the edge of one of the emergency door hatches. I used Corroseal to convert and treat the rust first. Had a few screws with rusty tops, so I corrosealed those as well wherever I found them.

This was the Only “big” rust spot I found up there and it was on the edge of one of the emergency door hatches. I used Corroseal to convert and treat the rust first. Had a few screws with rusty tops, so I corrosealed those as well wherever I found them.

Ran out of the Polyurethane I bought for the holes on the floor and switched over to the 2 in 1 Premium Polyurethane to finish the job.

Ran out of the Polyurethane I bought for the holes on the floor and switched over to the 2 in 1 Premium Polyurethane to finish the job.

FINISHED! From front to back of roof. My helper on the 20 ft ladder:)

FINISHED! From front to back of roof. My helper on the 20 ft ladder:)

Finished Back to Front!

Finished Back to Front!

I ended up coming back up to the roof after getting more caulk and sealing all of the rusty screws I found as well as other screws where we saw water coming in at from inside of the bus. We had to stand in the bus while it was pouring rain to really see where everything was coming in at, then we sealed it.

WEAR GLOVES WHEN APPLYING POLYURETHANE CAULK/SEALANT! I still have this on my hands as I type. I wore gloves the next time I had to use the caulk gun. And I have been wearing gloves to handle food all week too, lol. LESSON LEARNED!

WEAR GLOVES WHEN APPLYING POLYURETHANE CAULK/SEALANT!
I still have this on my hands as I type. I wore gloves the next time I had to use the caulk gun. And I have been wearing gloves to handle food all week too, lol. LESSON LEARNED!

DAY 2

Sealing the side seams and anywhere else that appeared to need a fresh coat of caulk was really the task to accomplish here. So, Crab started on one side of the bus with our original Polyurethane choice (the type used for the floor holes) after a quick resupply from HD.  I started on the opposite side with a smaller tube of it, and then had to switch to the 2 in 1 polyurethane after I ran out. I call this Frankenstein/ChittyBang because she really looks funky right now. HAHA!

Close up of new seal.

Close up of new seal.

Some random screw holes covered with polyurethane caulk. Bondo would work well here too.

Some random screw holes covered with polyurethane caulk. Bondo would work well here too.

My Part of the bus caulked with LocTite 2 in 1 Premium Polyurethane.

My Part of the bus caulked with LocTite 2 in 1 Premium Polyurethane.

The Doors with a fresh seal!

The Doors with a fresh seal!

Crab re sealed the outer part of the back windows.

Crab re sealed the outer part of the back windows.

Driver Side sealed

Driver Side sealed

Passenger side sealed up!

Passenger side sealed up!

Now we are just waiting for it to rain so we can see how well we did!! We can definitely test it with a hose, but a real hard rain is definitely more realistic. I feel confident we fixed our leak problem!! All we need to do now to finish up our pre-build work is to do a quick clean out and one more coat of rustoleum on the floor to ensure we did not scuff up the paint while working on it.

Next week we will be buying the floor framing boards, insulation, and plywood! I can not wait!!

Stage 14: Paint the Floor…One More Time

or

Editing Our Life Series

Advertisements

One thought on “Stage 13: Sealing Exterior Sides and Roof

  1. Pingback: Stage 12: Spray Foam on Windows | The Crabs' Homestead

Leave us a message!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s