Update on the Duck Tractor! We added a tarp to give the ducks some more shade and wind break. I widened their door to their little house inside, but did that after I made the video of course! But either way, just wanted to show what it looked like afterwards. We will see how the tarps do the next few months and determine if we will keep them or think of another shade/wind break method.
Finally! The completed Turkey Tractor! This was definitely needed considering our Tom decided to show retaliation towards my English Mastiff, Mila, for when she bullied him when he was much smaller! He didn’t hurt our poor little 130 lb princess;) Just wouldn’t really allow her to play outside without attacking! So the Turkey Tractor became a priority! This one currently houses 6 Turkeys, but we will be processing 3 soon to dwindle the population and give them more room. If you have any questions please ask! We have had them in this thing for 3 days now, and so far so good!
A quick video of the new Muskovy ducks and their home! They have a nice shelter, and we recently added a tarp to this one, will update soon! They have finally gotten use to being here, still getting used to us. Will let you all know how this new adventure is going!
Here is a video tour of the chicken tractor we just built! We recently added a tarp soon after this video, and hung the feed and water. I will update with that video soon! So far with 20 mph winds all day today, they have held up great!
The Current Project on the homestead is the best one yet! NO more chicken and Turkey poop covering my walk ways and deck! I love my free range birds, but their poop is not fun. We decided to open the gates and let all the critters run wild and forage for food. IT cut down on feed costs, but instead of cleaning out my wallet, these guys are making me clean my shoes. And my floors…from this messy predicament. Ok, it probably is not THAT Bad…but I feel it is, and we came up with a solution. After a year of off and on talking about it, different ideas thrown around, we finally decided we were finally going to do it! Also, we want to get ducks, so we need penned up areas for our other poultry. We can also choose where to put our birds and allow them to fertilize a specific area. So they still get to “free range” they just have limits now.
So Sgt Crab tore down our two 40’x40′ chicken/turkey pens we had up so we could re-use our materials. We had plenty of 2×4, chicken fence, and nails left over. Not to mention the posts, but we can’t dig those out until we have some dirt to fill those holes with. Those holes are a broken leg waiting to happen..or a dead chick or turkey.
We started yesterday afternoon with the Chicken Tractor. Framing of the 6’x8′ project was complete.
Then today, we got to the wheels and nest box/shelter area
We ordered the wheels and they were sent to a local farm supply store. You can find them online and tractor supply too. We used 2 wheels on each side of each rear side board for extra stability.
The Next Box is made out of thin plywood and small screws. We decided on a bump out, large nesting area filled with hay. I kept a lip in the front of it so hay won’t spill out. We will hinge the over hang roof into a door. We did not want to cut up another pice of plywood for the roof, so we are going to piece it together. Will have a tarp over it too so water will not get in.
I will update as we complete! This is what we have as of today! We will be able to start working tomorrow afternoon!