We have given up on store bought, delivery, and frozen pizzas. IT will just never be as healthy as home made pizza with the right ingredients! Below is a combination of recipes I have found, and my family agrees on this one:) Don’t be scared to experiment, it is easier than you think.
PIZZA DOUGH RECIPE:
In a small bowl-
2 1/4 teaspoons yeast
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 1/2 cups of warm water
A Large Bowl-
1 teaspoon garlic salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning (optional)
1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic or 1 Garlic Clove (Optional)- We love Garlic here so I always cook with it when I can
1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and brown sugar in the water. Let Sit 10 minutes. While you are waiting, you can dump your flour into the large bowl.
2. Stir the salt and oil into the small bowl with yeast solution.
3. Poor liquid solution, Minced Garlic (optional), and Italian Seasoning (optional) into the flour slowly while mixing. I like to use my hands for this whole recipe. It gets a little messy but you really get a good mix going.
4. Next, Grab your flour board or a clean flat area to roll your flour. Sprinkle flour on the area and pound, roll, and massage that flour ball like there is no tomorrow. I do this for about 2 minutes or so.
5. You can leave the pizza whole, or split into pieces. I will split this dough ball into 2 pieces if making separate pizzas for my girls. They like to decorate them with the toppings.. so it can also be a family event!
6. Sprinkle some of the oil on the sides and bottom of the large bowl. Place flour ball into bowl. Sprinkle some oil over that. Place a damp warm towel over the top of the bowl. I have even used seran wrap here, but it rises faster with the damp towel. I don’t know why..
7. Let it rise for about an hour, maybe less. At least until it is double in size.
8. About 30 minutes into doubling, start the sauce!
Pizza Sauce Recipe:
4-6 Ripe Tomatoes, chopped
2-3 Cloves of Garlic or 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons sea salt
1/2 teaspoon white sugar
1 small can of Tomato Paste (OPTIONAL)- I like it to keep it thicker
1 Tablespoon Basil (Optional)
1. Medium Saucepan, cook garlic in olive oil for 5 minutes or until soft.
2. Add the Tomatoes, salt, and sugar. Raise the heat a little and cook rapidly. Stir Frequently and allow tomatoes to give off juices. WIll cook down to a thick mass, 15 minutes.
3. Watch and stir to ensure it does not scorch.
4. Add the tomato paste and basil here (optional). Heat Through.
5. Keep at a low heat until pizza dough is ready. PRE HEAT OVEN to 500 DEGREES. Kudos to you if you have a pizza stone. I don’t:(
ROLL THE DOUGH!
The Dough should ready now! GO ahead and spread some flour out on that area again, and place one roll ball on it. Start rolling it out. Mine did not look like circles at all when I first started this..I usually had long rounded rectangles…But I have finally established a circle as the official Crab Homestead Pizza!
Next, Smear a little olive oil on one side of pizza. Flip oil side down onto pizza pan. Smear sauce all over that bad boy!
Add Your Fixins!
We like Cheese, Mini pepperonis, Onions, Bell Peppers, Mushrooms, and more cheese! The choice is yours. This is where it gets all “Burger King” like. Go Ahead..Have it Your way 🙂
Cook for 8 Minutes or until Crust is Golden Brown.
Enjoy that amazing pan pizza!
I usually double this recipe, my husband and I share one (we like all the veggies), and the girls split one flour ball and make their own pizzas. This is usually done Friday nights and we have lots of lunch leftovers on Saturday. I hear money being saved as I eat! lol!
Here is a great book for Mediterranean Folks! I get lots of our recipes from here!