I know this is the second laundry detergent I am posting, not including the revised one, but after experimenting over the last few months, I found this one smells and works the best! Use all of the same ingredients as original:
- Borax, Super Washing Soda
- Fels Naptha Soap
- Your favorite soap bar (I have Caress because I had a ton of coupons for them!)
- Your favorite scented Downy Crystals. (These are the only ones I have used, but I am sure other brands will work just as well).
- Optional (I have not tried yet, but thought of it): OxyClean
I also doubled this recipe in some places so I would have more, as my last experiment only lasted 2 months. I say “only” but that is a small amount if you have ever made your own laundry detergent! I like to have more at one time so I only need to do this every 3-4 months! I am still using my same borax and washing soda boxes that I purchased a year ago…so yes it is def COST SAVING!
You also need ready:
- 5 gallon bucket (Home Depot & Tractor Supply sell these for $2.50
- 3 Empty and Clean Milk Jugs, or empty laundry detergent bottles
Then Add your Soap Soup to the bucket once it is not steaming anymore. Now, Stir like a witch and her cauldron! Let it set for 24 hours. It should be a gelatinous beauty the next day.
I forgot to take pictures, but mine was pink and was firm with a little water in it still. I used a funnel and soup ladel to distribute the soap into my 3 milk gallon jugs. I aimed to only fill it half way in each jug, just in case I had to add water to it to make it less chunky. This was a problem I had with my first batch. It was too chunky for my HE wash. Thankfully, this was not needed this time.
SHAKE REALLY WELL BEFORE EACH USE TO BREAK UP CHUNKS! Add water if you feel you need to. You shouldn’t have to though. Add about 1/2 a cup or to fill line in your wash and enjoy your wonderful smelling clothes!!
Check out the DIY VIDEO Tutorial I posted under the first picture. Find it here too: